7.04.2010

Happy Birthday America

Actually the true birth of the United States occurred on July 2, 1776. On that day the Continental Congress voted unanimously to declare independence from Great Britian. It was announced on July 4th and we celebrate our independance on the 4th ever since.

I am a little bothered by the different points of view concerning our constitution and it's powers, or lack thereof, but that is for my blog when I walk across America next summer to raise awareness of the US Constitution (I think citizens are woefully lacking in constitutional knowledge). What bothers me almost as much is how people treat today. I am a Rockwellian. I understand that Norman Rockwell painted scenes of an idealized America, but that's the point. We aren't where the Constitution says we are entitled to be, but we are striving to get there. It's like Buddhism; you want to attain enlightenment, but you will probably never get there. It's all about the journey and what kind of character you display.

I do see the 4th as a chance to celebrate with family and friends and acknowledge the huge experiment that began 234 years ago it Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was/is quite an achievement. I love watching fireworks, and grilling and generally spending time with the family. My problem is that many look to the holiday as just another three/four day weekend to screw around. Most people I've ever interacted with ooh and aah at the fireworks, but never stop to question what it all means, or how did it almost not happen. Or even what they've given in return for such a wonderful gift.

On Christmas Day, Christians give praise to the birth of Jesus and go to church. Christmas Eve mass is usually a bit of story and a lesson on how we ought to conduct ourselves. Same with Thanksgiving. My family goes around the table and says what they are thankful for and thinks of others who are less fortunate. So, I believe, my personal opinion and nothing more, that  we should be asking our ourselves how we can be better citizens. What are our obligations. It's like we've been given a plant, that requires sustanance and nuturing, and we've left it in the corner expecting it to grow. Grow it may, but it will never be healthy.

It is not my place to point fingers. These are merely my observations about all the 4th's past and how I see others just treat it as a day off to grill and drink. I look at today and I marvel at the grand experiment and hope that others awaken to it's awesome design and help nurture it.

Last thoughts. Many in the military say this is a day to think of those who have given all for independence. I say to you sirs and madams: NO WAY! That is what Memorial Day is for (you can/should try to remember everyday) and of course we have Veteran's Day. I think of my fellow squadron mates who came up for their turn in the barrel and are spending today in the 130 degree sand with no celebration, but as for those fallen they have their day(s). Today is to honor our founding fathers for their work so long ago that gave us the ability to pursue life, liberty, and happiness (in case rep John Bheoner is reading, those words are in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution).

Today I would ask that you remember the hundreds of thousands of servicemembers far from home who are serving, often in harms way, to defend our liberty and freedom. They are celebrating in their own ways and are thinking of you and many are happy to be where they are so that you can enjoy today in peace. Also remember that their are coalition troops who serve, and sacrifice, alongside our troops and that they are also protecting our freedoms as well as those of their own countrymen. Especially my second home Canada. Sorry I missed Canada Day, but I hope to be there next year having a tall, cold "Trad" with my favorite Canadians!!!!!!!!!!

It is raining today, but our barbeque is on schedule for this afternoon. Youngstown's deployed will be whooping it up and having a good time. So enjoy the festivities and be thankful for whatever you wish to be thankful for. I personally am thankful for the support of all of you and the many who make what I do possible.

Happy Birthday America!!!!!!!1

No comments:

Post a Comment