8.13.2010

Pat Tillman

****Warning This Post contains Rantings of a Passionate Military Member******

What prompted this post was an article by NBC sports concerning a documentary on the Pat Tillman coverup. I'm not here to argue politics or even to change anyone's mind. I am writing this post to honor the memory of a true Patriot. I cannot call him a hero even though what he did would definitely put him up there because he made it clear to his family that heroes are extraordinary people and he was a man with faults like the rest of us. You've read my post on the word hero, but in my book he's pretty damn close to one!!!!

No background on Tillman. You should know it and if you want to learn more I urge you to find the truth for yourself. If your American and you do not know who he is that is because you have looked the other way while many of your countrymen have engaged in two wars and were making painful sacrifices. If you are not an American then it would make sense that you may not have heard of Pat Tillman. BTW, Tillman absolutely disagreed with the Iraq war and his reasoning was sound. Yet he still did his duty as a soldier. Imagine that: Personal responsibility!

So, I read the article which focused on the fact that Tillman's father had finally had enough when he read the "report" commissioned by congress. The general in charge, who actually signed the report, had promised the family that he would personally look into it. Well he did and if you read any of the official reports, it was clearly a cover up. The investigators have declared it an unfortunate incident and the general by signing off on it agrees with that assessment. Tillman's father declared that the general, along with some members of Tillman's platoon, are not fit to serve or be identified with the Army Rangers. More to the point he told the general to go fuck himself. Literally!

As with all the content on the web today, people are entitled to espouse their opinions with little regard to honesty and decency. Several people belittled Tillman himself for joining saying that he gave up his career to go "play" soldier and that he got what he deserved. If one person makes another person angry and the angered party decides to shoot and kill that person, does the person who is shot really "deserve" to be shot? Really? Hmmmm, check your value system. No decent human being would buy off on that.

Many of those who commented want the family to get over it because accidents happen and the truth is always hard to find in the fog of war. Yes, the truth is hard to find. It may never be found, completely, in this case. But one truth is for certain. Knowing that PFC Tillman was killed by members of his own unit, the highest ranking members of the US Army overseeing the execution of the war in Afghanistan, including that disgrace of a general Stanley McChrystal, said nothing to the family in private and even used his funeral as a photo op. President Bush absolutely was aware and all of them decided it would be one hell of a recruiting story....like...Jessica Lynch (does she ring a bell?). That's absolutely immoral no matter what your ideology is.

Given those facts can you blame a greiving family that they are angry they were lied to even years afterward? If you can then God help you if something like that ever happens to you. I hope that it never does because the pain of losing someone you love so deeply must be absolutely agonizing and it appears to never go away.

Friendly fire will always happen. No matter what. That doesn't mean that we have to act like it didn't happen and then make the victim a false hero. If you read Where Men Win Glory: The Pat Tillman Story, a lot of Pat's thoughts from his journal are in there. He had many misgivings about the Army and the war. The last thing I think he would have wanted is for himself to be made a recruiting poster. They attempted it when he was alive and he refused.

There is so much to say on this story that I wish I had an open dialogue with all of you because I feel it needs to be said and understood clearly.

Pat Tillman was a courageous man. He did something that hasn't been done since Vietnam when Rocky Blier left the Pittsburgh Steelers and got his legs blown off in Vietnam. Pat Tillman gave up a multi-million dollar contract with the Arizona Cardinals to serve his country in her time of need. If you listen to his family and read his own words there was no regret. He felt that all citizens should make sacrifices for their country no matter what the cost. He even had an opportunity to re-enter the NFL but he refused to go back on his word and break his contract with the American people. Notice no other elite, well paid athelete stood up and did the same thing. No actor, politician, talented, rich individuals did what he did. What counts for even more is that he didn't expect anyone to lavish praise and he didn't condemn others for not making the same choice.

Pat Tillman paid the ultimate sacrifice for the idea that democracy is not passive. It requires attention, and at times sacrifice to maintain itself. I believe that he believed that it was everyone's responsibility to nurture it no matter what their station in life.

To that end I say to all, you don't have to wear the uniform to be a solid citizen. You need to engage and be passionate in whatever it is that you believe in. Stand up and try and make a difference. Democracy may not flourish no matter how hard you try, but it will absolutely falter if you stand idlly by and do nothing. Vote, be active in your community, get involved. But remember that your voice can be powerful. Choose your words wisely when you comment on the tragedy of those who attempted to do something for someone else at great cost to themselves and their loved ones. We should never judge those that put their money where their mouth is.

I didn't have an awesome career to give up when I joined the military. I chose to serve as my career. I have no regrets and I don't know if I would have been the kind of man Pat Tillman was if I had a great job and suddenly saw America attacked and plunged into conflict. I'd like to think that I would, but no one knows their courage or inner strength until they are tested.

I love what I do and if tomorrow I paid the ultimate price I would want someone to comfort my wife with kind words. After all I am a citizen just like you. I have hopes and dreams and want to fullfill them just like everyone else. I would think that my wife would deserve some sympathy and respect even if you disagreed with my occupation. Pat made me realize that all the things I complain about are ridiculous and that I am so damn lucky to have what I have. But I'd give all that up to know that my wife, my family, my friends would be safe from harm.

When I find myself complaining about the slowness of the ops tempo, or the pay problems, or even missing my family, I think about what Pat Would say. I admire him. I want so very badly to have his courage and to be the man he was to all those who know me.

So tonight before I go to bed, as I think about all the complaints and problems I had throughout the day, I think, as I do every night, "What would Pat Tillman Do?"

I know the answer, but will my heart have the courage to follow it?

No comments:

Post a Comment