6.18.2010

Things always happen when I'm not around

We're back home from Africa and I am slowely getting filled in on the happenings while we were gone. One very big story is that one of our officers got punched out by an aeromed for saying something crude. Of course the aeromed is enlisted so he's in a world of hurt while the bigmouth just has to deal with a chipped tooth and hurt pride. Man would I have paid to see that!!!

They actually have a reg that specifies conduct unbecoming an officer so if this individual did make some kind of comment while he was drunk that would apply. I know that he did because our commander sent out an email that said the aeromed's actions were completely out of the box and that "crude" comments should not be made and we should conduct ourselves accordingly. WTF?!!!!!!!!? Are you shittin' me? The officer should be in trouble as well, but it's cover your ass and frack the enlisted people.

To add insult to all the enlisted, the commander mentioned in the email that he thought about putting a curfew on the use of the pavillion. We've been here one month and the individual who got punched has a tendency to act like a donkey when he drinks. So we should all suffer? In my career I have been put in two situations where officers were fighting for their careers after doing something stupid. As per an earlier post, most who serve, even in war zones, are not heroes. It's not an automatic thing. A true hero sets a selfless example for others to follow. I wouldn't follow this guy to the shitter!!!!

Speaking of fracked up things, it's amazing how our own government fleeces their own. I went into JR Rockers, which is the enlisted club on base, to get dinner and saw a few of the guys. I decided to have a beer and ordered a KilKelleys. Shazaam!!!!! Seven smackers for a beer at the enlisted club!!!! You can go downtown to Thursty Nellies and get a better Irish beer, on tap, for half that. It's ridiculous. There are no deals for the military. Today I paid 7.58 for a Subway sandwich. I know we're overseas, but they don't ship the lettuce or chicken from stateside.

I am having great difficulty swallowing a lot of what I am seeing in the service. Poor leadership, at my level as well as higher, services fleecing the servicemember. A clinic that I wouldn't trust to lance a boil, a chow hall that overcharges. Units taking missions from us even though we're on the taxpayers dime; I have a lot of time off so it has an upside.

It isn't all bad. I get the chance to go to some neat places and see a lot of things that most people will never see. I've had some of the best training ever. I also am making per diem that I won't be able to spend if I eat normally so it's like extra income (hardwood floors anyone?). I can't complain about not flying too much as I have logged 90 hours in one month and I don't see that diminishing!

I know I didn't finish blogging my trip, but all that was left to tell was another safari run to that little airfield and the trip home. Neither was eventful. I was better prepared going into the 2900 foot field and everywhere else were all vanilla operations. As for the trip home, we crew rested in Souda Bay, Crete and had a lovely Greek meal washed down with a cold Mythos beer.

I'm on another mission tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment